We had two in group B this week, and 4 on marshalling duties.
Race report from Stephen Ellis:
The third race of this years NMRRL was contested by Groups A & B on the new Serlby circuit.
A breakaway established itself on the second of the 6 lap race featuring Jamie Burgan, Joe Elwood & Andy Nichols (all Langsett Cycles RT) & Rob Mitchell, Jack Stephenson (both Out of the Saddle CC) who opened up a 25 second lead by the end of the lap. At half distance the gap had increased to 45 seconds. With 2 laps to go, Burgan attacked, opening up a small advantage on the rest of the breakaway with the bunch holding the gap steady at 45 seconds. However, Burgan’s breakaway was short lived with Mitchell & Stephenson working well together to bring the leading group back together again. At the bell, the leaders now held a 55 second advantage on Steve Ellis (Out of the Saddle CC) who had attacked and opened up a small advantage on the bunch.
During the last lap, it was the turn of Elwood to attack which he was able to sustain and solo in to take his 2nd successive victory with Stephenson taking 2nd place, on his own, 20 seconds down on the winner. Nichols came in a further 12 seconds back to take 3rd place with Burgan and Mitchell in 4th & 5th places respectively, both 40 seconds behind Elwood. Behind, Ellis’ attack was nullified by the bunch, but he was determined not to be denied, and attacked again, this time holding his advantage all the way to the finish to take 6th place just under a minute and a half down on Elwood. Marc Etches (Sheffrec CC) won the bunch sprint for 7th place, a few seconds further back, ahead of Daniel Stephenson (Out of the Saddle CC) with Harry White (Bikeboxalan) & Paul Uttley (Out of the Saddle CC) completing the top ten.
After 3 races, Elwood now leads the Group A Overall Standings ahead of the absent Ben Turner (TLI) with Jack Stephenson moving into 3rd place.
In the Group B race, Chris Last (Carnac/Planet X) & Graham Walton (Common Lane Occasionals) held a small lead at the end of the first lap, after which the race stayed together until 2 laps to go when Jake Morgan (Sheffrec CC) attacked and opened up an advantage. At the bell, it was now a trio of Rob Blackburn (TLI), Alex Leyland (Out of the Saddle CC) & Last again, trying to form a breakaway but the bunch were determined not to let anyone get away.
At the finish, Jack Rowland (Harworth & District CC) was a clear winner of the bunch sprint, several lengths ahead of Andrew Cutts (Team Botterill) with Alan Wailoo (7 Hills CC), Steve Bunting (Rutland CC) & James Mappin (Geared Up Cycles) rounding off the top five.
Rowland takes the lead in the Group B Overall Standings ahead of first week winner Wailoo with Cutts in 3rd place.
1. JOE ELWOOD S LANGSETT CYCLES RT 32 miles in 1hr 12mins 10secs
2. JACK STEPHENSON S OUT OF THE SADDLE CC @ 20 secs
3. ANDY NICHOLS S LANGSETT CYCLES RT @ 32 secs
4. JAMIE BURGAN A LANGSETT CYCLES RT @ 40 secs
5. ROB MITCHELL M OUT OF THE SADDLE CC same time
6. STEVE ELLIS C OUT OF THE SADDLE CC @ 1 min 29 secs
7. MARC ETCHES M SHEFFREC CC @ 1 min 33 secs
8. DANIEL STEPHENSON M OUT OF THE SADDLE CC
9. HARRY WHITE JUN BIKEBOXALAN
10. PAUL UTTLEY M OUT OF THE SADDLE CC all same time.
1. JACK ROWLAND S HARWORTH & DISTRICT CC 32 miles in 1 hr 17mins 39 secs
2. ANDREW CUTTS S TEAM BOTTRILL
3. ALLAN WAILOO A 7 HILLS CC
4. STEVE BUNTING M RUTLAND CC
5. JAMES MAPPIN S GEARED UP CYCLES
6. ROB BLACKBURN C TLI
7. MARC HUGHES B COMMON LANE OCCASIONALS
8. JAKE MORGAN M SHEFFREC CC
9. RUPERT PEARSON A RUTLAND CC
10. NICK BODEN A COMMON LANE OCCASIONALS all same time.
Group A: Overall Standings after 3 races:
1. JOE ELWOOD S LANGSETT CYCLES RT 30 points
2. BEN TURNER JUN TLI 24
3. JACK STEPHENSON S OUT OF THE SADDLE CC 20
4. DAN STEPHENSON M OUT OF THE SADDLE CC 18
5= ROB MITCHELL M OUT OF THE SADDLE CC 15
STEVE ELLIS C OUT OF THE SADDLE CC
7= JAMIE BURGAN A LANGSETT CYCLES RT 14
MARC ETCHES M SHEFFREC CC
9= PETER COLLINS M SHARROW CC 10
ANDY NICHOLS S LANGSETT CYCLES RT
11. MARK TURNER B DINNINGTON RC 7
12. HARRY WHITE JUN BIKEBOXALAN 6
13= MATTHEW HARRIS M SHEFFREC CC 5
JAMIE TUNE JUN BIKEBOXALAN
15. IAN DAVENPORT C OUT OF THE SADDLE CC 2
16= ASHLEY BROWN M BBM 1
JOHN SMITH M OUT OF THE SADDLE CC
PAUL UTTLEY M OUT OF THE SADDLE CC
GROUP B: Overall Standings after 2 races:
1. JACK ROWLAND S HARWORTH & DISTRICT CC 27 points
2. ALLAN WAILOO A 7 HILLS CC 25
3. ANDREW CUTTS S TEAM BOTTRILL 22
4. ROB BLACKBURN C TLI 10
5= ROBERT FOWLER B RUTLAND CC 8
STEVE BUNTING M RUTLAND CC
7. NICK BODEN A COMMON LANE OCCASIONALS 7
8. JAMES MAPPIN S GEARED UP CYCLES 6
9= JOSEPH LAW U16 DONCASTER WHEELERS 4
MARC HUGHES B COMMON LANE OCCASIONALS
11= CHRIS LAST C CARNAC/PLANET X 3
JAKE MORGAN M SHEFFREC CC
13= GRAHAM WALLER M SHARROW CC 2
RUPERT PEARSON A RUTLAND CC
15. HARRY BUXTON U16 BROOMWAGON RT 1
1. JOHN CATLEY A BARNSLEY ROAD CLUB 15 points
2. MARK BARNARD A OUT OF THE SADDLE CC 12
3. ROSS LIMBERT S BBM REVOLUTION 10
4. CHRIS CUNNINGHAM A OUT OF THE SADDLE CC 8
5. KRIS DUNN M 7 HILLS CC 6
6. ROBERT PARKER M TLI 5
7. PAUL YOUNG D CARNAC/PLANET X 4
8. STUART BURROWS C ELMSALL ROAD CLUB 3
9. BRETT DAUGHTREY C OUT OF THE SADDLE CC 2
10. GARRY HILL E DINNINGTON RC 1