We had 5 riders racing in group C for round 2 – 4 novices lined up with only Rob having raced this series before. JP making the rookie error of forgetting his cycling shoes so completed the race in trainers – he won’t be making that mistake again!
The other 4 were close to the front going into the final turn, unleashing sprints a bit prematurely but with Kris holding on for 5th, Rob I got boxed in, Ed got overtaken with about 300m to go having tried an audacious long range attack. Jake & JP rolled in towards the back of the bunch.
Again not our words but the words of NMRRL:
Race 2 Torworth 09/06/16
The NMRRL returned to North Nottinghamshire roads after a forced 3 year absence with the second races at Torworth in clear, sunny conditions featuring Groups A & C.
Jamie Tune (Bikeboxalan) opened up a 7 second gap at the end of the first of seven laps, but was quickly reeled in. A lap later, it was the turn of ex-double NMRRL Champion Jamie Burgan (Langsett Cycles RT) who held a 10 second advantage but the rest of the field were not allowing him to get too far ahead and his lead was reduced to a slender 7 seconds at the end of the 3rd lap. Burgan was caught soon after which lead to a counter attack with current NMRRL Champion, Joe Elwood (Langsett Cycles RT) & Ben Turner (TLI) opening up a 10 second gap on the bunch which they increased slightly to 12 seconds with 2 laps to go with the bunch still chasing hard. It was only at the bell that the duo looked to have secured a race winning move, increasing their lead to 25 seconds.
At the finish, Elwood edged out Turner in a closely fought sprint with ex-double NMRRL Champion Marc Etches (Sheffrec CC) winning the bunch sprint for 3rd place ahead of Pete Collins (Sharrow CC) in 4th & Burgan in 5th.
After 2 races, Turner now leads the Group A Overall Standings ahead of Elwood & Dan Stephenson (Out of the Saddle CC) who was absent this week.
The first Group C race stayed together pretty much all through the race with only Chico Taylor (Rutland CC) opening up a small advantage on the rest of the field at the bell. John Catley (Barnsley Road Club) won the bunch sprint comfortably to take the win, with Mark Barnard (Out of the Saddle CC) just edging out Ross Limbert (BBM Revolution) for 2nd place.
1. JOE ELWOOD S LANGSETT CYCLES RT 33 miles in 1hr 14mins 44secs
2. BEN TURNER JUN TLI same time
3. MARC ETCHES M SHEFFREC CC @ 7 secs
4. PETER COLLINS M SHARROW CC
5. JAMIE BURGAN A LANGSETT CYCLES RT
6. JAMIE TUNE JUN BIKEBOXALAN
7. MARK TURNER B DINNINGTON RC
8. ROB MITCHELL M OUT OF THE SADDLE CC
9. IAN DAVENPORT C OUT OF THE SADDLE CC
10. JOHN SMITH M OUT OF THE SADDLE CC all same time.
1. JOHN CATLEY A BARNSLEY ROAD CLUB 28 miles in 1hr 09mins 15secs
2. MARK BARNARD A OUT OF THE SADDLE CC
3. ROSS LIMBERT S BBM REVOLUTION
4. CHRIS CUNNINGHAM A OUT OF THE SADDLE CC
5. KRIS DUNN M 7 HILLS CC
6. ROBERT PARKER M TLI
7. PAUL YOUNG D CARNAC/PLANET X
8. STUART BURROWS C ELMSALL ROAD CLUB
9. BRETT DAUGHTREY C OUT OF THE SADDLE CC
10. GARRY HILL E DINNINGTON RC all same time.